Grants for homeowners are available primarily as subsidized rates for insulation measures provided by the energy companies. There are also limited grants from local authorities and from the central-government-funded Warm Front scheme, although these are generally targeted at households in fuel poverty or where occupants are elderly or otherwise vulnerable.
Subsidized deals from energy suppliers – ECO funding
All the major energy companies are obliged to promote energy-saving measures, including loft and cavity wall insulation, under the ECO (Energy Companies Obligation) scheme. This is intended to help the UK meet its targets for cutting greenhouse gas emissions. The cost is borne by the energy companies, and hence indirectly by their customers – to the tune of £5.5 billion for the period 2008 to 2012.
You don’t have to be a customer to qualify for these deals – the energy companies want to sign you up to fulfil their ECO requirements! So it’s worth shopping around for the best deals In general, the following points apply:
- Top-up for loft insulation may be restricted to lofts where current insulation is less than 150mm (6 inches) deep.
- For cavity wall insulation deals, obviously, your house must have a suitable cavity wall.
- Many deals are now open to any householder, regardless of their circumstances, and are often free of charge
- If the householder (i.e. the applicant or their spouse or partner) is over 70, the work will be carried out free of charge.
- The work is also free for householders who have a child under 16 and who receive certain benefits, such as income support or housing benefit. The same applies to pregnant women.
- If you or anyone in your household receives certain income related or disability benefits the work will be carried out free of charge.
CSCO: Carbon Saving Community Obligation
This part of the scheme is for those living in specific areas, offering insulation and heating improvements. Your personal circumstances are not taken into account, just where you live.
HHCRO: Home Heating Cost Reduction Obligation
Specifically for those on low-incomes or who already receive certain qualifying benefits, HHCRO will offer any measures that help reduce the household’s heating costs. To find out if you qualify for free ECO funding –
Please note: You may still be eligible for ECO funding even if you don’t qualify by postcode or benefits. Please use the application form and we will contact you soon to discuss the options.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]