Grants for students

Grants are available to full-time students to help with living and study costs.

You don’t pay grants back. There are two different types of grants  you can apply for, it could be Maintenance Grant or Special Support Grant. There are Maintenance and Special Support Grants available to full-time students starting their course after 1 September 2012 (academic year 2012/13).

If your course starts before 1 September 2012 (academic year 2011/12), different rules apply. You can apply for a Maintenance Grant to help with your living costs. Maintenance Grants are available to students whose household income is £42,875 or less. Your household income is your parents’ or partner’s income and your own.

The maximum Maintenance Grant is £3,250 a year if your household income is under £25,000. If you get a Maintenance Grant your Maintenance Loan will be reduced.

You apply for a Maintenance Grant through your main student finance application. You can only get a Maintenance Grant if your household income is assessed. This means Student Loans Company will look at your household income and work out how much money you get for your Maintenance Grant. You can apply now for a Maintenance Grant for 2012/13. If you get or qualify for Income Support or Housing Benefit you may get the Special Support Grant instead of the Maintenance Grant. The amount you can get through the Special Support Grant is the same as that available through the Maintenance Grant but it won’t reduce how much you get for your Maintenance Loan.

You are likely to qualify for the Special Support Grant if

  • you’re a single parent
  • your partner is also a student
  • if you have certain disabilities

The Special Support Grant doesn’t count as income when working out if you’re entitled to income-related benefits or tax credits.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Copyright ©2011 northCloud. All Rights Reserved.